Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2022

 Photo-Blogging Challenge for June:  "Water"


Oh my goodness!  Once again the photo blogging challenge has me stressed.  I took so many photos this month with the theme of water in mind.  I feel like I would like to post my best 50, not a mere 5!  I had waterfalls and waterfowl, rivers and lakes and water sports.  I had deer and elk drinking from lakes and water droplets on plants and trees.  But most of all.... water reflections.   I spent a totally magical morning on Johnson Lake in Banff National Park on a stand-up paddle board accompanied by loons.  I thought seriously of posting five photos from that unforgettable morning.  But no.  I have chosen but one.  Sigh.  Here we go with my measly sampling of water themed photos from June.  Just five.  Sigh, sigh, sigh.

The Power of Water

On June 1st, I got off to a roaring start to this month's photo challenge when I stopped at Mistaya Canyon, where the Mistaya River demonstrates the power of water to carve into solid rock over time.  The canyon is very impressive and well worth the stop to explore on a trip up the Icefields Parkway. I took many photos here that I would love to share.   But alas, I have picked just one:



A Magical Morning on Johnson Lake

Johnson Lake is a very, very popular destination in Banff National Park, just minutes from the Town of Banff.  I hiked there one morning in May and was delighted to see and hear loons, my favourite bird.  I said to myself, I have to come back here one morning and paddle this lake.  So I borrowed one of my son's rental stand-up paddle boards from Wilderness Equipment Rentals this month and arrived at the lake shortly after 7:30 am.  Not a soul there at that time!  It took me quite awhile to pump up that board.  But when I pushed away from shore, it was still just the loons and I, with Cascade Mountain as a backdrop.  The loons called out again and again and again.  They swam towards me and came very close.  It was unforgettable.  Yup, I could definitely post five photos from that beautiful outing.  But no, I will stick to the rules and post just one. Sigh. 


Reflections

I agonized over this selection.  I had reflections of Rundle and Mt. Bourgeau in Vermilion Lake.  I had reflections of the mountain ranges that surround Forget-Me-Not-Pond, a favourite spot for photographers in Kananaskis Country.  I had a number of reflective photos taken on different days at Quarry Lake.  But finally, after much deliberation and humming and haaaing, I have selected one. Sigh.



Water Sports

I have kayaking pictures to share, stand-up paddle boarding photos to share.  But I will settle for sharing this photo of a swimmer in Quarry Lake at sunrise.  I went down to Quarry Lake bright and early to sit and wait for wildlife to wander by.  But instead I snapped pictures of these two women doing laps of the lake before the crowds arrived.  It turns out I knew one of the women so I was able to send her a few of my photos.  


Water Droplets

Although I did capture water droplets on many plants this month, this decision was not so tough.  The Wood Lilly is one of my favourite wildflowers so I am choosing a photo of a Wood Lilly with water droplets.


Perhaps I will post a small selection of photos that didn't make my top five for the month on the Photo Blogging Facebook page?   Hopefully, I will have a less stressful photographic month in July.... LOL!  



4 comments:

  1. such lovely photos :) love them all <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular photos, Mandy! I have been lucky to getting a preview on FB :-)
    Mistaya Canyon has been put on my travel bucket list. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The canyon pics are simply stunning! It's mind boggling to see what the force of water and time can do. I love the quarry lake swimmer capture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome that you could share some of your Quarry Lake photos with your swimmer friend. And the Wood Lily is one of my favourites, too. I didn't see any in June, but they've sure popped up all over in July. In Annora Brown's "Old Man's Garden", she wrote that the blooming of Wood Lilies is Nature's signal that summer is finally here.

    ReplyDelete