Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Black & White: January Photo Blogging Challenge

 I really wasn't looking forward to this month's photo blogging challenge as I don't usually like black and white photos.  But this stretched me a bit and I confess, I do like the results.  I was most captivated by black and white mountain scenes with dramatic skies over head. The following three photos were all shot in colour with my iPhone 12 and edited to be black and white.  My first photo is a sunrise shot with interesting clouds over the Three Sisters.  I still like the colour version better, but this one is also a-okay.



Another interesting mountain and sky photo, this one of Lawrence Grassi and Ha Ling.  It almost looks as if the mountains are on fire:




One more, also of Lawrence Grassi and Ha Ling, taken from a very different location, the reservoir.  There is a lot to catch the eye in this photo.... the sky, the mountains, the ice, the water, and the rock and snow in the foreground.  Which one do you like best?  I will go with this one:




I was out on a hike one day and as I retraced my route, I noticed my perfect footprint in the snow.  I wear IceBug brand winter boots, because of their superior traction and this particular pair, because of their warmth as well.  Much of the traction is provided by these icy bugs, each with eight legs, which along with the rest of the well-treaded sole give great grip on snow and ice. I thought it was neat how clearly they stood out in my footprint.  This was not converted to black and white.  It is just.... white, with a few tiny specks of coloured trail debris.  




As soon as I realized the January theme was black and white I decided to take some photos of my granddog, Bourbon, completely forgetting I had included his portrait photo in last month's Holly Jolly blog. As it turns out, the other pictures were all very similar to last month's except this one, taken from a unique angle.  As you can see, he is very black and white.  Actually, he has what is called a tuxedo coat,  black with a thin white patch on his underside and four white paws.




Whew, mission accomplished!  


3 comments:

  1. Love the unique shot of your grand dog. And cool boot print. As for the side or face on view of Ha Ling, my own preference is for the meadow view that shows everything from the Ship's Prow to Ha Ling. Either one, though, the black and white take is much more striking in winter than summer, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you, I prefer colors, but your mountains and skies looks spectacular in b/w.
    Love the footprint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perspective of Bourbon's white streak on his neck is really great! The landscape shots are very nice with the snow contrasting against the mountains. Nicely done!
    https://peripheralperceptions.wordpress.com/2022/01/31/january-photo-challenge-black-and-white/

    ReplyDelete