Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2021

May Photo Blogging Challenge:  Spring Has Sprung


Early in May, I was invited to a bicycle maintenance workshop.  I am embarrassed to say it has been years since my bike had a good cleaning.  My friend, Kelly, inspired me with her regimen of cleaning her bike after each and every use.  What do you think?  Not bad for a rookie bike cleaner if I do say so myself!  


Although many people her in the Bow Valley never put their bikes away and bike all winter, May is when the bicycling action really picks up.  At the end of May, there is usually a very brief period when there is an outstanding cycling opportunity.  The Moraine Lake road has been plowed of snow and readied for car traffic but it is still not open to car traffic.  This brief period, sometimes only of several days, is a cyclist's dream... riding to Moraine Lake without any cars on the road and without the usual crowds of people at the lake.  This year, I was delighted to have my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter join me.  My son remarked that was the most outstanding bike ride he had ever experienced.  Can you see why?



At the beginning of the month, the lakes of the Bow Valley were finally released from their icy winter grip.  I enjoyed a tour of Bow Lake Provincial Park where I spent hours photographing the scenery, the birds and the earliest of spring flowers.  Here is an image of Middle Lake:



Prairie Crocus is the first flower to emerge in spring and I found some on my early May, early morning, visit to Bow Valley Provincial Park:


And while we are on the topic of plants, on May 13th I snapped this photo of my rhubarb just emerging from the ground.  It is the only food item we can manage to grow up here on the slopes of Lawrence Grassi Mountain, in addition to chives.  I can harvest it late in June.  Better late than never, which also goes for posting my May blog!  








2 comments:

  1. We're not growing anything edible in Canmore. Now that I've read your post, I'll make a note to bring some chives from Calgary - where they're taking over the veggie garden area!! As for the spring bike riding on roads closed to vehicles, it's something we look forward to every year. Thanks for the Moraine Lake Road recommendation, a new one for us, this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! As a Swiss girl I love me some blue skies and snowy mountains!

    ReplyDelete