Pages

Friday, October 1, 2021

September Photo Blogging Challenge: It's Your World

 In the month of September my world shrank considerably, due to a back injury that had me in constant pain, unable to walk more than a few steps at a time.  Usually, September would be the best hiking and biking month of the year.  But my world shrank to my house and my neighbourhood, with a few forays around town on short bike rides, as I could tolerate a little bit of cycling and at the end of the month, a trio of road trips.  Although not my preferred mode of exploration, they did allow me to expand my world and experience the beauty of the Alberta fall.  Seeing and photographing wild horses was a bonus.

  

1. The Backyard

In early September, with nice warm temperatures, I spent a lot of time in a recliner chair on our back deck, reading, dozing, working on my iPad and icing my back.  The pansies on the back deck, which I photographed a few months ago, are still going strong.



2. Front Views

When I tired of the scenery from the back deck, there was the scenery from the front deck.  We are truly blessed to live in such a photogenic neighbourhood!  


3. Farley

Our new camper trailer, Farley, spent the entire month on the driveway.  We cancelled a planned week of camping mid-September.  Oh well, we will start planning for a grand adventure next year!



4. Our House

My husband Colin heads out to work quite early in the morning.  On Sept. 30th, he phone me and alerted me to the fact that there would probably be a lovely sunrise.  I swiftly got dressed and headed out.  Indeed, the sunrise and early morning light in the neighbourhood were spectacular.  I took a number of photos which I am really happy with, but I can only post five so here is one I really like.  It is a shot of our house, with Mount Lawrence Grassi, Miner's Peak and Ha Ling lit up by the sun with the bonus of a rainbow in the background.


5. Healthcare Appointments

The month of September was filled with visits to healthcare practitioners. Two massages, several visits to a chiropractor, two visits to my GP and two visits to Patti Meyers of MaToTisan Inc.  Patti is a physiotherapist and acupuncturist.  Her clinic is such a delight!  It is filled with plants and art work and objects to sooth the soul.  


As we begin a new month, I am working hard on my rehab.... abdominal exercises, other core strengthening and stretching, very short walks and bike rides.  I have returned to the pool.... walking in the lazy river, floating, treading water and doing a few gentle laps.  X-rays revealed no serious issues.  So it is just a matter of putting in the time and being ever so patient.  There is always photography to occupy me, no matter how small my world becomes.  Hopefully, my world will begin to expand a bit and I have my sights set on a full recovery for ski and snowshoe season.  





10 comments:

  1. Oh my, back injuries are no fun at all. One of my discs ruptured many years ago and put me on my back for months until I had surgery to fix it (arthroscopic microdiscectomy). Since it was not an invasive surgery, my rehab time was minimal and I've not had any issues since! You do live in a wonderfully photogenic area and I enjoyed seeing your pics...especially the sunrise with the rainbow! I do hope your back injury mends and you are back out on the hike/bike trails.
    https://peripheralperceptions.wordpress.com/2021/10/01/september-photo-challenge-its-your-world/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. I struggle with not knowing exactly what the problem is. X-rays do not show discs. I understand it takes about a year to have an MRI, unless you want to pay about $1000! Doc says to be patient and it should resolve itself in a few weeks.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your back issues! Hope your various therapies are helping - feel better soon!
    Sensational sunrise picture. Is this your house? The one with the trailer, right? I bet it looks awesome when it's snowing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mandy, you're doing a great job of staying positive and holding onto a realistic perspective on recovery from your back injury. Here's hoping all your hard work pays off with the free-from-pain freedom to resume your active lifestyle this month of Thanksgiving. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Denise. Getting a little better, day by day. This week will be challenging as I am dog sitting! Will take a little stool with me on short walks so I can rest along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really get fall colors, so that shot of the trees in different colors is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great photos for this theme! And some awesome views! Well done and thanks for bringing us into your world.

    ReplyDelete